Being Lib ...or something like it

Monday, October 12, 2009

Nerdsville

My liver doctor still has the red light on me drinking liquor for more than a month already, even when Im here in manila and liver doctor couldn't see me from far away. There's not much to do after work here now that I have to hold myself back from drinking, it feels like denying an goddam itch from an ant bite for so long, and all I could do without beers in my hotel room is watch cable TV and hope that not all channels are showing trash. Luckily my parents also arrived in manila yesterday from some other country and I just joined them for dinner, because they're sure to buy me dinner in some fancy restaurant than me alone in my room eating fastfood in boxes.

Anyway I met my parents up at some mall and they were busy talking about all the crap they went through during their trip but I wasn't listening that much, my mind was thinking about this toy convention I saw over at the lobby of the mall. I was interested to see it because I still keep a couple of hobbies myself like star wars and gundam model kits but then there will be nerds who will live by these pop cultures like a cult, and as far as conventions go, nothing breaks the nerdscale more than these toy and comic book freakfest conventions.

I checked out the lobby after dinner, the place was a bazaar of everything for a nerd's amusement, there were small booths around and a race track in the middle where nerds take their toy cars and recreate their own formula one experience at the size of their palms, there were a lot of people buying little things around but there'd always be somebody in some kind of halloween costume who'd pass by to keep the convention strange enough. I found one booth that sold gundam model kits and I saw this kit that I was thinking of buying but not anytime sooner yet. I asked the booth keeper who was dressed like spiderman for the price and I found out that it was four hundred bucks cheaper that what I saw at ebay, but spiderman told me that they'd be closing in about five minutes so I just went around to see more nerds in costume before everything closes. But I was thinking what the hell, I will buy the model kit soon anyway. I went back to spiderman's booth and he was there talking to some kids dressed like the fellowship of the rings out for nuisance, he excused himself and went to me instead because his spider sense probably told him that I was more serious in buying something. He had packed up though so I asked him if could still get the model kit at convention price tomorrow because I just flew here from iloilo this morning, he then gave me the address to his shop which was just a couple of blocks away.

I went to my parents hotel this morning, sent them off to the airport and headed to the place. It was on the second floor of some dull building with no signs or anything, even the stairs were hidden at the back of this long garage, it looked like your friend's apartment when you knocked at the place for the first time. But when I got in, it was a goddam sport equipment shop where they'd sell tennis balls and ping pong paddles, I didn't want to ask the clerk for model kits because all the athlete balls around made it look like the wrong place, but I did ask him anyway.

It turns out that they do sell model kits and I told the clerk I was there for something from yesterdays convention, he asked me who I was looking for so I said

I don't know, he looked like spiderman

he stood up and yelled to this other guy working at the back

Hey, did marvin dress like spiderman to the convention yesterday?

The other guy yelled back that he did, and none of them were so surprised with it though, it must be the things you'd get to see often when running a hobby shop.

I bought the model kit and thanks to spiderman I was able to save four hundred bucks, but I still cant spend it on beers so I just decided to watch a movie a while ago, its been a while since I watched here in manila. Anyway this 'surrogates' movie was about some alternate future where people become so clinically depressed that they use personal robots to run their daily lives while in bed. It sounded like the whole scenario evolved from your habit of making a virtual life in those facebook games. It was a good movie anyway, because most of the theaters were showing bleeding movies about love, not the kind nerds would probably understand.

1 Comments:

Blogger P.L.S. said...

Ei Lib, didn't know about your liver condition? So what happens now?

9:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home