Being Lib ...or something like it

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Yellow is for Cory

Cory, who is one of our most well known presidents, passed away more than a month ago. She was so popular with the whole country that the color yellow she used to campaign with twenty three years ago became so popular again right after her death, people wore yellow shirts and tied yellow ribbons anywhere and was close to wrapping the whole country in yellow. I remember it was discussed in our political science class ten years ago that the whole yellow thing came from this song "tie me a yellow ribbon on the old oak tree" by tony orlando, the guy who looks pretty much like ringo starr in the beatles let it be cover. I wasn't into the whole yellow fad a month ago, its not that I didn't admire her but I just didn't want to hop into the yellow bandwagon.

Then I got sick the first week of september and this was one of the worst fevers I ever had, I was wondering how I even got sick in the first place because I had anit-flu shots a month ago that was supposed to make me invincible to fever. It scared the hell out of me thinking it was the new pig-flu virus I got from someplace, I did get home from manila two days before I got sick but I didn't go anywhere where fever or pigs were particular, in fact I was just having two beers every night in my room after work over cable tv and I swear I was because, I could recall the movies I've seen the last five nights. There could have been pork in those chinaman take out foods I had with beer, but I suppose my fever came from fatigue after a couple hard day's work.

It was strange because my fever was reacting to the time of the day, like around eleven in the morning until four in the afternoon, my tempreature would be normal and I feel like going back to work for a while. By sunset I would start to burn all over again and come midnight I feel like hell is freezing over in bed, it was during the fourth night that my body tempreature went as high as 40 and I could hardly breathe, I felt like I was going to die, seriously. From what I was seeing, the edges from my field of sight was turning black and I was gasping for air, I was slouching on the floor with pain like I was doing those muslim ramadan pose where you have your ass higher than your head, it looked like I was already turning my life over to some god, just in case, but no one showed up to take me away though. Then I threw up a lot of water, I wanted to give my parents a call in manila if I should get myself to the goddam hospital before I pass out, so I got to the telephone but while sitting there and giving death some thought, I felt better from breathing the midnight air from the open windows, I ended up sleeping there instead with my blankets.

It took me another day struggling with that fever until I finally got better and went back to work, the fever pinned me down for five days and paperworks were stacking on my desk, I did feel better though I started having terrible heartburns just below where my esophagus ended, probably from loosing my apetite and not eating much when I was sick, I could feel it being twisted from the inside. It wasn't til the seventh day that I resolved what this goddam fever was, I was brainstorming over some employee's inventory report when he pointed at me

Sir, your eyes... look... all so yellow

I stared at the mirror and my eyes did look like werewolf jacko's in that thriller music video, hell my whole torso had turned yellow too and it dawned to me that there is something wrong with my liver.

Everybody told me that I've been drinking too much, it could have believed it too but I'm half the drunkard I was for two years already, nevertheless it was about time I see a doctor, finally. First they took a lot of blood from me in the laboratory that I think was enough to feed a leech for a week, by the time a third lab rat went over to my left elbow to suck more blood with those big goddam syringe, I told her to use my right elbow instead because they already made a lot of holes from the left. The doctor could now tell a lot about my fever more from those blood results than me figuring out things by myself the past few days.

The doctor was somewhere around his fifties and you could tell he had the knack for livers, he read through my blood tests which were just full of numbers and integers but to him it seemed like an encoded distress call from my liver, he ask how I felt and I told him I felt fine except for this heartburn over my chest, he pressed it and I yelled in pain to sound a yes, he told me that it was my liver and began writing some notes. I would have hated it if he was the kind of doctor who would take longer to read through my blood results and press around my body a lot and couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong, and send me back to the goddam laboratory to leak out more blood from me and turn me into a hospital crash test dummy. Anyway this doctor said that its the hepatitis A virus and I probably got it from eating contaminated food from wherever, he said that there's no need to worry about it and my liver will just return to normal, just eat more of anything and get more sleep and drink some vitamin tablets.

The doctor's advice sounded pretty much like to wait until I shed my yellow skin, I feel fine though so I just went back to work with these yellow eyes, It was pretty obvious because people keep on yelling about my eyes, they would go on asking me how I feel and all that crap and I tell them I'm busy or I feel like having a cup of black coffee, but I tell them stupid answers that its from seeing too much yellow after cory's funeral because I don't want to go on explaining about hep A virus. In fact I have overheard yellow so much that I'm humming that goddam tune about the yellow ribbon in that old oak tree over and over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home