Being Lib ...or something like it

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Edison and Bell's legacy

I woke at five this morning and I took the first flight to manila at daybreak.

I got myself a hotel room a little past noon. I was travelling alone but I took a room with two beds since I wanted to stay in a big space. The room already had a desk, a couch and a small table but the other bed came in handy when I needed a place to stack and sort out a lot of garment samples I would be sending to the office.

My father knew where I was staying and I knew he would be giving me a buzz soon enough. I was reading this magazine I bought earlier on the road today while waiting for the phone to ring, I tried to read it in bed but I can't turn on the lamp over my head. I pushed and pulled anything around it that looked like a switch to me until I got my fingers into a live socket and had a memorable moment with electricity. The darn lightbulb was missing inside the socket. Some guest before me must have stolen the bulb since it was probably the last item anybody will find missing inside a hotel room. Or maybe the bulb did get busted and the resident electrician just forgot to replace it with a new one. But I'd rather not tell them the damn thing is missing, I might end up paying for a new lightbulb on my way out of the hotel.

Then my doorbell rang, it was one of the hotel crew and he came to tell me that there is somebody waiting for me on the phone. It was my father but funny I didnt hear the phone ring. I later complained at the front desk that the handset in my room had trouble ringing, and for crying out loud the clerk told me that none of the hotel's house phones are ringing at the moment. Hell the whole situation annoyed me so much that when I got back to my room, I could now hear the rest of the room buzzers ringing from across the hall. I couldn't tell if another hotel crew is buzzing outside my room for me to answer my phone because the damn buzzing sensation has messed up in my head that I kept picking up my handset everytime a buzzer rang. It really did get on my nerves.

I had a couple of things to do for the rest of the afternoon than stay inside my room picking up the phone with an empty line. I first took a shower with the bathroom door open, since I was alone in my hotel room anyway and I needed a shower badly before I hit on the streets again. What I didnt see that there was a leak right on the side of the nozzle of the shower, and when it was turned on, a jetstream of water shot sideways. This jetstream had a perfect aim that it shot right out into the open bathroom door and into my room. I was already having a really bad day in this hotel that I stayed longer inside the shower, and by the time I got out, the room floor was all puddled with water. I took the bed covers and blanket from the other bed which I wouldn't be sleeping in anyway and used these sheets to wipe me some dry ground where I could change clothes.

Remind me to close the bathroom door when I take a shower tomorrow morning. And I hope they better clean up the mess in the floor when I get back, that room was already a poor excuse for edison and bell's legacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home