Being Lib ...or something like it

Monday, June 06, 2005

Another reason to cross the road

I was on my way to pick up my parents at the airport yesterday.

The road leading to the airport is pretty much narrow, there's only a single lane on both sides of the road, which means it will take a lot of nerves to overtake the car up front of you. But a lot of cars still pull such a stunt quite often on this narrow road, since most cars running on this road are in a rush to the airport. I was a little early on my way to the airport, but even if I were running late. I'm always too chicken to overtake the car up front and rather stay on my side of the lane.

There was a chicken up ahead on the road, I wasn't figuratively speaking of the other car up front of me, there was a real feathered fowl standing on the side of the road. And just like how that popular wisecrack joke went, this chicken was about to cross the road. It didnt cut its path in front of me but on the car ahead of me, I was talking to the chicken in my head to think twice about its reason to get to the other side, but at the same time I was very much interested to see it go underneath the tires of that speeding car. And in a fit of desperation, the chicken did cross the road.

SPLOTCH


I didnt get to see the chicken on impact, only a couple of feathers that flew to my windshield and what seems to be the rest of the chicken that came out under the car, which looked like it was unstuffed of its guts.

I got to the airport a couple of minutes later, I was a little bit early but heck the parking spaces were all taken, I was driving in circles til I thought about going back to check out what was left of that chicken, it wasnt that far from the airport. But I found the roadkill missing when I got to the spot, that chicken couldn't have possibly crossed the road without its guts. Somebody must have taken it since it was too good a fresh kill to waste. I knew why that chicken crossed the road, unconsciously it wanted to end up in somebody's dinner table.

Peter's brother got married yesterday. I attended the wedding reception and I was almost late for the event since I had to take my parents to the office from the airport and give them a rundown of how I ran the business when they were away. I got to the place and I felt I was the last guest who arrived, I wished patrick and his wife well on their wedding and went into the dinning hall. I hate the kind of crowds that come in social events so I ended up sitting in the farthest table in the corner of the hall, where the airconditioner and the speakers were just right behind me. The food was great but I avoided any poultry dishes, since it might just be my feathered friend who got crushed on the road earlier.

Peter has a very high tolerance for alcohol, he's been serving whiskey to guests while taking some shots with them every so often. I dont drink that kind of stuff, my system cant handle alcohol that strong. But when Peter came to that farthest table where I sat, I ended up taking a shot of whiskey with him as a tribute to his brother's wedding, then his father came whom I took another shot with, then another shot with his cousin from Ohio, and another shot with his cousin from Cebu. Then Philipp came, whom I still took another shot for missing his engagement ceremonies weeks ago, and all the while I was also drinking this whiskey coke I came up myself.

Later, I began to feel my circulatory system go ballistic, my heartbeat was pumping like mad, as if I had a slow cardiac arrest in progress. So much for whiskey, I drank about three bottles of water then settled for three bottles of beer. I left past midnight and I walked home, I needed some fresh midnight air anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home