Being Lib ...or something like it

Monday, August 07, 2006

National Jargon

When we were in grade school, we were taught august is the month that we celebrate our patriotism to our national language. Made popular by the past president found on our 20 currency bill and whom the street outside our house was named after, the event is hailed as “linggo ng wika” or as I may translate it into better english “week of our language”. And for some readers out there not conversant with our language and may have attempted to encrypt the words, misleadingly homonymous they may look but “linggo” does not mean language or even close to lingo, nor does “wika” mean week, interestingly they meant the other way around.

I was never used to using the local jargon for the expression of my ideas, thoughts and depressions since I have a very limited vocabulary and its confusing sentence structures cannot deliver the same wit and humor that other languages can, only to communicate with the rest of the populace here. And this patois gets even more complicated since it has different mutated versions from one island to another with further primordial versions spoken deep into the mountains.

I think they should rather celebrate peace and humanity this august after the atomic bomb anniversary in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home