Hello World!
In an attempt to draw readership to my blog, I have installed my new babel fish page translator on my lower sider bar for any blog surfer out there who cant read my blog in english, just click on the flag you think is the country that speaks your language. What the hell, just click on any flag for fun, you wouldn't need to translate this page if you had gone this far reading my english.
A Tale of Two Languages
Talking about clashes between languages, I just remebered this story about ten years ago when I was in an international boarding school. It was midnight and me and my room mate were having shots of vodka while thinking of stupid things to do. One thing he came up with was we take our room's house phone, dial to another room in the building at random, ask them if their air conditioner is running and tell them to run after it. I took the handset and he dialed some numbers, took a while til somebody answered the call.
"喂?"
(hello?)
Oh heck it was a chinaman! I felt he wasn't going to understand anything but I still went on with our goof and asked him.
"Hello, is your air conditioner running?"
"你是誰? 你是談什麼?"
(who are you? what are you talking?)
my room mate was already holding his chuckle back but he didn't know I wasn't making any sense to the other guy on the line. Not to disappoint him, I just yelled to the chinaman anyway.
"THEN RUN AFTER IT!"
my room mate bursted into a big laughter thinking I pulled that one off, yelling that it was a good one and how he wished he'd seen the look on the guy's face.
I sure wish I did too.
A Tale of Two Languages
Talking about clashes between languages, I just remebered this story about ten years ago when I was in an international boarding school. It was midnight and me and my room mate were having shots of vodka while thinking of stupid things to do. One thing he came up with was we take our room's house phone, dial to another room in the building at random, ask them if their air conditioner is running and tell them to run after it. I took the handset and he dialed some numbers, took a while til somebody answered the call.
"喂?"
(hello?)
Oh heck it was a chinaman! I felt he wasn't going to understand anything but I still went on with our goof and asked him.
"Hello, is your air conditioner running?"
"你是誰? 你是談什麼?"
(who are you? what are you talking?)
my room mate was already holding his chuckle back but he didn't know I wasn't making any sense to the other guy on the line. Not to disappoint him, I just yelled to the chinaman anyway.
"THEN RUN AFTER IT!"
my room mate bursted into a big laughter thinking I pulled that one off, yelling that it was a good one and how he wished he'd seen the look on the guy's face.
I sure wish I did too.

4 Comments:
Just wondering what's the reason behind being condescending to the Filipino language.
12:54 PM
If I wrote anything that is condescending to any particular language I wrote it in the previous post, these comments should have been posted there.
I think I know you, you're my editor in chief, she was the only one asking for my blog's URL before that comment was made. hi Jen.
And for two years I never mentioned the words "Filipino" nor "Philippines" in my blog (take note of that) only except for key cities around this country, and how easy is it to deduce what I am talking about if you are not from this country yourself.
This seems to be an interesting topic.
1:01 PM
my sis told me 'bout u asking her if she was the one who made the above comment. funny it wasn't her. :) but it was nice seeing her name on your blog...
i've got a penchant for reading ur blog lately after your editor-in-chief recommended ur blog to me ^_^ never had a blog induced me to reading all the entries from the most recent entry down to the 1st entry in the archives until weatherman2's blog. hats off to you!
3:07 PM
Ey thank you :)
10:17 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home