Intestines, beers and rebellions
I flew back to manila three days ago, went over to surprise carelle for her birthday but unfortunately she wasn’t around manila.
There was not much work to do in manila either, there was nothing new on the market because most factories in china just went back into production after the lunar new year’s holiday last week and shipments wont start pouring in till a week from now.
And last night I had to hole up inside my hotel room because of rumors of some self proclaimed idealists and upstarts are thinking of a rebellion to overthrow the government and screw progress and the economy that night. I got myself some beers at the hotel lobby and some grilled chicken intestines while watching the local news if the country were to fall apart and history happens again tonight. I got the chicken intestines from a vendor who was cooking on the streets, I was about to smoke from my window earlier when I saw this vendor on a makeshift grill on wheels right below my window. These kinds of hawker grills sell pretty cheap stuffs because most of their grubs are usually slaughterhouse leftovers and other animal guts some refined diners wouldn’t eat, like intestines, livers, gizzards and hearts. So these foodstuffs are better off as beer matches because the less you mind what the hell you are eating when you’re drunk.. They taste great though, Just don’t try to think about all the shit that had to pass through on those entails in a chicken’s lifetime.
Anyway I got myself hooked to the late night news about the rebellion thing for about an hour, but the more I watched, the more I realized that the gravity of a rebellion was only as serious as the tones of the news anchors, as if they were provoking the rebellion themselves.
“Press freedom is not a right, it is a privilege that comes with great responsibility”
I don’t remember if I heard that one from kofi annan or from my drunken consciousness. It does sound intelligent though, it was probably mine. And I’d love to write that line on some plaster tape and slap it unto that news anchors mouth to shut her up. She pissed me off, really. If she loved to talk about chaos and uprising on the streets, she should get a news anchor’s job in Baghdad, I’m sure she has a lot of mayhem to talk about there.
There was not much work to do in manila either, there was nothing new on the market because most factories in china just went back into production after the lunar new year’s holiday last week and shipments wont start pouring in till a week from now.
And last night I had to hole up inside my hotel room because of rumors of some self proclaimed idealists and upstarts are thinking of a rebellion to overthrow the government and screw progress and the economy that night. I got myself some beers at the hotel lobby and some grilled chicken intestines while watching the local news if the country were to fall apart and history happens again tonight. I got the chicken intestines from a vendor who was cooking on the streets, I was about to smoke from my window earlier when I saw this vendor on a makeshift grill on wheels right below my window. These kinds of hawker grills sell pretty cheap stuffs because most of their grubs are usually slaughterhouse leftovers and other animal guts some refined diners wouldn’t eat, like intestines, livers, gizzards and hearts. So these foodstuffs are better off as beer matches because the less you mind what the hell you are eating when you’re drunk.. They taste great though, Just don’t try to think about all the shit that had to pass through on those entails in a chicken’s lifetime.
Anyway I got myself hooked to the late night news about the rebellion thing for about an hour, but the more I watched, the more I realized that the gravity of a rebellion was only as serious as the tones of the news anchors, as if they were provoking the rebellion themselves.
“Press freedom is not a right, it is a privilege that comes with great responsibility”
I don’t remember if I heard that one from kofi annan or from my drunken consciousness. It does sound intelligent though, it was probably mine. And I’d love to write that line on some plaster tape and slap it unto that news anchors mouth to shut her up. She pissed me off, really. If she loved to talk about chaos and uprising on the streets, she should get a news anchor’s job in Baghdad, I’m sure she has a lot of mayhem to talk about there.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home