Being Lib ...or something like it

Friday, July 14, 2006

Class Dismissed

There’s this jesuit school in our city that to my amazement, offered me a teaching position in their school. The headmaster wanted to meet me that I got several calls from the priest the week before, it is a religious school and their headmaster is a man of god, and a very learned man of god, I’ve heard he had his tour of duty for priesthood in rome and he could talk every other language in this planet.

Anyway I met up with him last sunday, I could have met up with him saturday but I just had 15 beers that friday and there might still be remnants of alcohol in my brain that I might not still be thinking right and make drastic decisions. The priest started the conversation with this pick up line “I’ve heard so much about you” which I knew were true, he should have known I’m a man of liquor. The offer was this: I was to teach mandarin to sophomore high. He explained to me that he’s after young blood people to teach rather than the old professionals albeit the wisdom and yak yak yak I was staring at the wooden cross he had on his neck for the rest of the conversation. I am impressed on how he humbly kept a trinket of his faith of lesser material value when he has already served his god in rome.

I swear my mandarin is poor but I could still talk pretty much conversational mandarin, and from the last time I checked a month ago, my mandarin can still get my ass into tiananmen square at 10 in the evening by asking directions in the streets. Them chinamen gibberish still made some sense to my ears including this red guard who yelled me off after I crossed some restricted government property. Goddam chinamen should have known that I came from a free country.

Finally I declined the offer, I have a lot of things to run in our business and I know I didn’t have the patience, and I have other concerns which in a way might put these kid’s education at stake, though everybody wanted me to take the job too but I know I shouldn't because I would be a very terrible example to the kids if you have read much of what I wrote in this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home