Peter
Peter got married sunday last week, it was a grand wedding, terribly grand. I was one of his groom’s men though I am alwyas very keen about being seen in wedding pictures, and grand weddings always come with a sea of audience where my shrewd personality will eat me alive while standing in front of all those people. But peter was my friend for 18 years already, and hell I should be there for him.
Peter and I became friends when we were 8, I was just transferred to his school and I didn’t have any friends there and it was one hell of a lousy childhood. I always ended up reading books during class breaks by ernest hemmingway, jules vernes and especially this book by charles dickens –great expectations (note: I was just 8), peter saw me and he would pity me and he would take me out to play with his friends, though I could see they weren’t too happy to have me around, one thing is because I run slow.
Peter met ellaine when we were 14, we were in high school. We both went to this school fair and somebody set him up for a blind date with this girl. And after his date, he kept talking to me about ellaine and later that night he called me up asking me to go back with him to that school fair to find her. He started writing to her (well copying from drafts that I would write to him) we would go to bookstores and rummage for flowery pads where he could write, plan his conversation when he would call her up, all those crazy things adolescents do when they fall in love. And boy peter’s mother loved listening to me talk about it over and over on his son’s wedding night.
Peter was also there for me when I also went haywire over girls. He would deliver my flowers for this girl cheyenne when he was in college in manila, then years later I would date this girl mezzy together with him and his wife, even up to this day he would listen to me over beer about what Im going through with this girl Im dating in manila, ask him he knows it all.
We don’t share the same music, that’s why we hardly share our cd’s since he’d always laugh at me listening to jazz. We love to drink, I am the chronic alcoholic and peter is stronger alcoholic, he can finish a bottle of whiskey and still drive me home, in fact he's the strongest alcohol drinker Ive ever met. Now that he’s married, his wife wants both of us to drink at their house, what peter did was had this little yard outside his window paved where we could get wasted over alcohol. The place is pretty small about 2 meters in width and it leads out to his garage and that was where we used to keep little chicks when we were 10, we’d save our pennies and buy sick chicks at the poultry at a bargain and try our luck if they survive, well some did. Good old memories.
Well we still are enjoying our beer there except that his wife can now hear our conversations from the window.
Peter and I became friends when we were 8, I was just transferred to his school and I didn’t have any friends there and it was one hell of a lousy childhood. I always ended up reading books during class breaks by ernest hemmingway, jules vernes and especially this book by charles dickens –great expectations (note: I was just 8), peter saw me and he would pity me and he would take me out to play with his friends, though I could see they weren’t too happy to have me around, one thing is because I run slow.
Peter met ellaine when we were 14, we were in high school. We both went to this school fair and somebody set him up for a blind date with this girl. And after his date, he kept talking to me about ellaine and later that night he called me up asking me to go back with him to that school fair to find her. He started writing to her (well copying from drafts that I would write to him) we would go to bookstores and rummage for flowery pads where he could write, plan his conversation when he would call her up, all those crazy things adolescents do when they fall in love. And boy peter’s mother loved listening to me talk about it over and over on his son’s wedding night.
Peter was also there for me when I also went haywire over girls. He would deliver my flowers for this girl cheyenne when he was in college in manila, then years later I would date this girl mezzy together with him and his wife, even up to this day he would listen to me over beer about what Im going through with this girl Im dating in manila, ask him he knows it all.
We don’t share the same music, that’s why we hardly share our cd’s since he’d always laugh at me listening to jazz. We love to drink, I am the chronic alcoholic and peter is stronger alcoholic, he can finish a bottle of whiskey and still drive me home, in fact he's the strongest alcohol drinker Ive ever met. Now that he’s married, his wife wants both of us to drink at their house, what peter did was had this little yard outside his window paved where we could get wasted over alcohol. The place is pretty small about 2 meters in width and it leads out to his garage and that was where we used to keep little chicks when we were 10, we’d save our pennies and buy sick chicks at the poultry at a bargain and try our luck if they survive, well some did. Good old memories.
Well we still are enjoying our beer there except that his wife can now hear our conversations from the window.

7 Comments:
damn, my sister's name is cheyenne. im not kidding hehe. ahhh i can still remember the pre-cellphone days, what i do when writing a chummy letter to a girl is i would go to the bookstore and check out greeting cards and all, get some ideas there and boom start writing haha plagiarism, i know i know
2:06 AM
I used to write a lot of letters to that cheyenne girl too because those were also the days when we didn't have mobile phones or email. Well in your case, she'd better had not received a card you bootlegged from! hahaha
10:45 PM
damn, i knew it had to be that guy, i just cant remember the name, coz i knew he's also from iloilo, and yeah you got our names right haha, is it really your friend? baka ikaw yun ha, hehe small world haha, vincent ba? i cant remember, i'll ask my sister kapag nagkita na kami
8:32 PM
Oh my stars and garters...
Paulo?! all the while it was just you?
hahaha!
I only remember you being a small boy who would answer the phone over at your house, and Im surprised you're now writing great humor with tagalog in the net!
No I'm not vincent but yen can recall peter because my buddy was from csb too, very tall guy and yes he did deliver flowers, when was that? ten years ago? hahaha peter was laughing on the phone earlier this afternoon when he called and I told him I bumped into cheyenne's little brother on the net.
How are you man?
9:53 PM
Bum or whatever, you still have your family's business to run in bicol. The past two years about me you can read through this blog hehehe.
And I'm surprised to know that you're a fresh grad too, far from that 5th or 6th grader I know. So did both of you follow her footsteps to csb?
I think it wouldn't be a good idea to tell yen about me, I have this funny feeling she's probably still sour about me, though hopefully not.
8:49 PM
my sister just got here the other day, and i told he about our so called "encounter" haha i was right, it is oliver hehe, dude I still cant see what you saw in my sister, that hag... haha kidding, I remember your letters, long distance calls, oh and by the way, it was me who answered your call to my sis's cell.. like 5-6 years ago... the deep voice and shit... but that was genuine ha, deep talaga voice ko.
after 2 schools, 3 courses and 6 years later... graduate na ako! haha
nah, yen's got nothing bad to say about you, to quote her, when i asked if your the same oliver from iloilo, she asked me "magaling ba sya magsulat?" but come to think of it, you were something pare, i can never exert the same shit you did for my sis, that's just too much of a hassle.
work for my mom? i dunno.. i was pondering on looking for a job in iloilo, always wanted to go south... uhum.. job.. uhum!!! JOB!!!
11:04 AM
I think you should try looking for a job in cebu, its sort of the next big city down south, but believe me you'd find yourself back in manila after a year or so. Or perhaps that urge of yours to go down south is only an urge for more post graduate vacations after 6 years in college.
Now this is where it starts to get embarrasing, I wrote THIS POST after the wedding of my good friend peter and the story behind his romantic encounter with his wife. But ironically dear reader by the time you have read this line, it is my own romantic blunders that is unfolding unto this post!
Yen was right about one thing she said to me
"you're going to look back someday and laugh at everything that happened."
10:47 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home